- Step 1: Roll dough Roll out the sugar cookie dough with the rolling pin. Use the cookie cutters to press into the dough and form individual cookies.
- Step 2: Bake Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake the cookies as directed or until golden brown. Let the cookies cool completely.
- Step 3: Divide icing Divide the icing into thirds and use a different tint of food coloring for each.
- Step 4: Frost Frost the cookies with your choice of color, using the offset spatula or a butter knife, and allow the icing to dry completely.
- TIP: Look at pictures of antique teacups and teapots for decorating ideas.
- Step 5: Pipe Fill the pastry bag with a different color icing and use a fine tip to pipe a border around the cookies and add decorative details, such as flowers, rosettes, dots, or a checkerboard pattern. Make sure to encourage your child to hold their pinkie finger up when eating your sweet treats.
- FACT: The tea ceremony performed in Japan is a traditional ritual influenced by Zen Buddhism in which green tea is prepared and served to a small group of guests in a tranquil setting.
You Will Need
- Sugar cookie dough
- Royal icing
- Food coloring
- Rolling pin
- Tea cup and teapot cookie cutters
- Offset spatula
- Pastry bag
- Pastry tips
- Photos of tea cups and teapots (optional)