- Step 1: Make cookies Make sugar cookie cutouts of a turtle, a football, a soccer ball, a basketball jersey, or just a circle using cookie cutters. Bake according to package directions.
- Step 2: Outline and fill Outline and fill them in with red, white, black, or yellow royal icing to match the school colors.
- TIP: Buttercream or store-bought icing can also be used.
- Step 3: Pipe a picture Pipe the words "Fear the Turtle," "Hell in a Shell," or "Go Terps!" using melted chocolate or icing. You can also draw a picture of Testudo, the turtle mascot.
- Step 4: Add colored sanding sugar Add the finishing touch by adding red, white, black, or yellow sanding sugar to give it a sparkling effect.
- Step 5: Enjoy the game and cookies Show your spirit and join Testudo, the football team, the marching band, and the spirit squad by walking down Terp Alley just before the game. Don't forget to bring enough to share!
- FACT: As a tradition, students pretend to read the paper as the visiting team is introduced at University of Maryland home basketball games.
You Will Need
- Cookie cutters
- Sugar cookies
- Colored royal icing
- Pastry bag
- Pastry tips
- Melted chocolate
- Colored sanding sugar
- Buttercream frosting (optional)
- Store-bought frosting (optional)