- Step 1: Be confident Be confident, be yourself, and accept who you are. Don't pretend to likes things you don't like, and don't say things you don't believe. Being open and honest will allow the other person to eel more relaxed around you.
- Step 2: Ask questions Ask them questions about their background, what they do, what they like, and what they dislike. This will give you a better idea as to who the person is on the inside.
- Step 3: Listen Listen and give them your undivided attention. Doing this will show the person that you're interested, and they will likely be more open.
- TIP: Find common interests and expand your conversation around those.
- Step 4: Share Share your feelings with each other. This will show the person that you're open to discuss personal thoughts, and hopefully inspire them to reciprocate.
- Step 5: Be trustworthy Be a trustworthy person they can confide in without worrying about whether you'll judge them or spill their secrets.. Nothing pushes a person away like a lack of trust.
- TIP: Keep shared information between yourselves.
- Step 6: Be patient Be patient and take your time getting to know someone. The investment you make now will pay off with a significantly more satisfying relationship.
- FACT: The first developmental stage according to psychiatrist Erik Erikson, is trust versus mistrust. Erikson believed that if an infant cannot trust its caregivers, it may never grow to have trusting relationships.
You Will Need
- Listening skills