- Step 1: Choose a benefit Decide which VA benefit you want to apply for. You can apply for one or all depending on what your needs are. The government offers several benefits to veterans including paid education, home loans, compensation, and vocational rehab.
- TIP: Find detailed information on the benefits available by visiting the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- Step 2: Apply Apply for the benefits that interest you. In most cases, this means simply filling out an application. Many applications can be found online, and can be either submitted online, mailed, or taken to your local VA center.
- Step 3: Provide information Provide the eligibility information needed to process your application. The VA will request that you prove you need the benefit for which you're applying.
- Step 4: Talk to a VA counselor Talk to a counselor or social worker at your local VA hospital to learn about other benefits, programs, and further information about the application process.
- Step 5: Get approved Get approved for your benefits, and begin receiving the compensation you deserve for protecting and serving your country.
- FACT: In 1919, President Wilson officially proclaimed November 11 the first commemoration of Armistice Day. The name was officially changed to Veterans Day in 1954, and became a day to honor veterans of all wars.
You Will Need
- Military service
- Internet access
- Proof of eligibility
- Counselor or social worker