- Step 1: Kneel on the floor Kneel on the floor and sit on your heels with your knees apart. Back the cat toward you.
- Step 2: Grasp the cat's cheekbones Grasp the cat's cheekbones with your left hand -- palm down -- and tilt the cat's head back. Use your right hand if you are left-handed.
- Step 3: Hold the pill Hold the pill between the index finger and thumb of your right hand.
- TIP: If you are giving the cat liquid medicine, place the tip of a dropper or syringe in the corner of the cat's mouth and aim for the pocket between the cheek and the gums. Squirt the medicine in slowly and let the cat swallow several times.
- Step 4: Insert your fingernail between the cat's teeth Insert your fingernail between the cat's upper and lower teeth, and push the pill far down the cat's throat with your index finger. Be careful not to scratch the cat's throat with your nail.
- TIP: Wrapping the pill inside a piece of meat or cheese is a good way to trick your cat into thinking they're getting just a treat.
- Step 5: Remove you hand Remove your hand quickly and the cat will swallow the pill in surprise. Now have fun with your healthy, happy feline friend.
- FACT: The adult cat has 30 teeth.
You Will Need
- Liquid medicine (optional)
- Piece of meat or cheese (optional)