- Step 1: Sit on mat Sit on your mat with your hands by your sides and your knees bent.
- Step 2: Lie down Lie down slowly, leaning back on your elbows while unraveling your spine and sliding your legs out in front of you until you are resting on your back.
- Step 3: Spread arms & legs Move your legs 8 inches-18 inches apart to relax your hips. Move your hands and arms 6-12" inches away from your sides with your palms facing up to relax your shoulders.
- TIP: If your neck feels tense, place a rolled blanket or towel under it. Do the same under your knees to relieve any tension in your lower back.
- Step 4: Relax Relax. Let your body sink into the ground, and your mind focus inward.
- TIP: If you need help relaxing, contract and release each set of muscles in your body sequentially, starting from your toes and working your way up to your face and scalp.
- Step 5: Hold pose Stay in this pose for as long as you like, letting your whole system relax deeply. Ideally, you will feel like you are falling asleep while remaining fully conscious.
- Step 6: Release pose To release the pose, start by gently wiggling your fingers and toes to reawaken your body. Allow yourself ample time to regain full awareness and movement—after all, coming back from the dead is no small feat.
- FACT: In Hinduism, coming back to life is no big deal—reincarnation is a central tenet of the religion.
You Will Need
- Comfortable clothing suitable for stretching and moving
- A calm place where you won't be distracted or disturbed
- A yoga mat or folded blanket