- Step 1: Wash hands Wash your hands for 20 seconds before preparing food, after handling raw foods, after you use the bathroom, and before you eat.
- Step 2: Wash Wash and scrub your vegetables before eating.
- Step 3: Use different cutting boards Use two different cutting boards: one for vegetables and one for meat.
- Step 4: Keep refrigerated Keep your meat, poultry, and seafood refrigerated. Limit the time between buying your meat products and getting them home.
- Step 5: Cook meat well Cook your meat until it reaches a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- TIP: Use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat has cooked to the appropriate temperature.
- Step 6: Keep foods at appropriate temperature Keep hot cooked foods above 140 degrees and cold foods below 40 degrees before being served.
- Step 7: Refrigerate leftovers Refrigerate leftovers within two hours, or one hour on hot days. Keeping your food safe will help to keep your family healthy.
- FACT: Consumption of any food or beverage that has been contaminated by animal manure can result in contracting E. coli.
You Will Need
- 2 cutting boards
- Meat thermometer (optional)