- Step 1: Gather cookie cutters Look for New Year's-themed cookies cutters, like a champagne glass, champagne bottle, balloons, or a New Year's baby.
- Step 2: Roll dough Roll out the sugar cookie dough with the rolling pin. Use the cookie cutters to press into the dough to form individual cookies.
- Step 3: Bake Transfer cookies to a cookie sheet and bake as directed or until golden brown. Let the cookies cool completely.
- Step 4: Divide icing Divide the icing into thirds, using a different food coloring for each.
- TIP: If you want black icing, try food coloring paste instead of liquid, available at cake decorating shops.
- Step 5: Frost Frost the cookies with one color icing using the offset spatula or a butter knife and allow the icing to dry completely.
- Step 6: Pipe Fill the pastry bag with a contrasting color frosting and use a fine tip to outline the cookies and create details. Write the year inside the glasses or balloons. Finish with edible glitter or crystal sugar, and your cookies will look just like New Year's confetti -- a perfect way to ring in the year!
- FACT: In Scotland, the New Year's Eve celebration is referred to as "Hogmanay."
You Will Need
- Sugar cookie dough
- Royal icing
- Food coloring
- Edible glitter or crystal sugar
- New Year';s-themed cookie cutters
- Rolling pin
- Offset spatula
- Pastry bag
- Pastry tips