- Step 1: Pick a name Select a web address for your site, using a domain registrar to find and purchase one that's available. Make sure your web address is easy to spell so potential users and search engines can find it easily.
- Step 2: Choose a host Find a web host to manage your domain's traffic and server, which stores your site's data. Investigate if your service offers technical support outside of regular business hours, so you can address potential issues as they arise.
- TIP: Check if your registrar also offers free web-hosting services.
- Step 3: Build the basics Set up your domain's administrator information so you can control access to your website. Create an e-mail address linked to the site to use for professional communication, and to make it easy for site visitors to reach you.
- Step 4: Design it Build your site using templates from your web host or an online service, or program it internally for complete control over your design and presentation. Construct your site so it clearly directs users from page to page.
- Step 5: Express yourself Present your business' mission and contact information clearly on your homepage. Create pages where you can post a catalog of your products or services and a client list to help instill consumer confidence in your visitors.
- TIP: Make any links to relevant, positive information about your company easy to spot.
- Step 6: Optimize your content Use search engine optimization, metadata, and analytics to find terms and keywords to integrate in your copy and help your site rise to the top of search results. Tailor your keywords to fit your business' goals without taking away from your information's clarity.
- Step 7: Refresh regularly Update your site's content regularly to ensure visitors know you're invested in your enterprise and dedicated to your business' growth.
- FACT: During the 2009 holiday season, consumers spent $27 billion online.
You Will Need
- Domain name
- Domain registrar
- Web host