- Step 1: Read the name aloud Read the person's name aloud before you dial the number. If you can't pronounce the name correctly ask for help or just skip saying it altogether.
- Step 2: Use a script Develop a script to guide you or write down a few notes if you easily get flustered or have a hard time thinking on the spot.
- Step 3: Be conversational Be conversational. Not every call has to go exactly the same way. Just go with the flow and talk to them like a friend or family member.
- TIP: Don't take hangups or rude comments personally. It happens to everyone.
- Step 4: Know your candidate Know what your candidate stands for. Be able to promote policies, answer questions, or dispel any rumors that are untrue.
- Step 5: Practice Practice as much as possible by striking up conversations with strangers at the store, in line at the coffee shop, or with telemarketers who call.
- Step 6: Speak from the heart Take a deep breath, gather yourself, and speak from the heart. Each number will be an adventure. Just believe in what you're doing and who you're supporting.
- FACT: Nearly 2 billion people, a third of the world's population, have never made a telephone call.
You Will Need
- Phone script
- Knowledge of the candidate