- Step 1: Register Register for the orienteering course. You will be given a map, a control description, and a control card. You will also be given the option of renting a compass if you have not brought your own.
- TIP: The control description describes features such as the path, a junction in the path, or a large rock where each control, or destination, can be found.
- Step 2: Use the map Use the map to determine which direction you need to head to reach your first control. Turn the compass housing so that your direction aligns with the direction-of-travel arrow on the compass's housing.
- Step 3: Hold the compass Hold the compass level in your hand so that the needle can turn. Turn the compass so that the needle aligns with the grid lines on the housing.
- TIP: Be sure the north end of the compass needle is pointing north. Otherwise you will head off in the opposite direction to which you intend.
- Step 4: Proceed in the indicated direction Proceed in the direction the travel arrow is pointing.
- Step 5: Punch your control card Use the punch to mark your control card when you reach your destination. This will prove you have visited the control. Visit all controls before the other orienteer and win the game.
- FACT: Orienteering began in Scandinavia in the 19th century.
You Will Need
- Control description
- Control card