- Step 1: Start a committee Start a committee with several dedicated and hard-working friends to help plan, promote, collect donations, and recruit volunteers for the food drive.
- TIP: Call the local newspaper to get some free publicity and more people involved.
- Step 2: Create fliers Get your artistic friends to create eye-catching posters and fliers to let people know when and where to donate and what items are needed.
- Step 3: Keep the time period short Keep the time period to between two and four weeks so people don't forget and energy levels don't wane.
- TIP: Set a goal to encourage people to donate and to work hard.
- Step 4: Invite businesses to help Invite businesses, clubs, and other organizations to help advertise the food drive to their customers and patrons.
- Step 5: Ask for freebies Ask businesses to donate snacks, juice, and water for the volunteers; and prizes to give away to donors that go above and beyond expectations.
- Step 6: Contact local food banks Contact local food banks to let them know of your intentions so they can prepare for a large donation and can help with some of the planning.
- Step 7: Plan for next year Plan for next year's food drive once the dust has settled since it is never too early to start.
- FACT: Warren Buffett donated an estimated 37 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 2006 -- the largest single charitable donation in U.S. history.
You Will Need
- Good organization