- Step 1: Gossip Talk trash about someone. Research shows that gossiping promotes the release of the feel-good chemicals within the body called endorphins.
- Step 2: Bang the drum Bang a drum. Drumming provides a one-two feel good punch -- it induces relaxation, and it also may promote the release of endorphins.
- Step 3: Laugh Do something that makes you laugh for a natural high. A good chuckle lights up some of the same areas of your brain that cocaine does.
- Step 4: Help someone Help someone out. Altruism -- whether it's a one-time favor or a steady volunteer job -- is known to produce a so-called "helper's high" in the do-gooder.
- TIP: People who volunteer have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability, and lower rates of depression later in life than those who don't volunteer.
- Step 5: Go bargain-hunting Go bargain-hunting. One study showed that shopping can produce feelings of euphoria, especially if you snag a great deal.
- Step 6: Eat something spicy Eat a meal that contains chili peppers. They contain capsaicin, a chemical that not only produces the peppers' heat, but causes the brain to flood your nerve endings with endorphins to help you handle it. Just have a glass of milk on hand: it'll douse the fire in your mouth if things get too hot to handle!
- FACT: When a mother sees her baby smile, it activates a region in the brain that produces euphoric feelings -- much like a drug.
You Will Need
- Mindful walking
- Shopping spree
- Chili peppers