- Step 1: Decide what type of fabric you need Think about the style of the room you are decorating, and select a fabric that matches. Heavy fabrics give the room a formal look. Use lighter fabrics for a more relaxed space.
- Step 2: Decide between opaque and sheer drapes Decide between opaque and sheer drapes. You can block sunlight by using opaque drapes, or let the sun shine through by choosing sheer drapes.
- TIP: Purchase blackout curtains to hang with your decorative drapes if you want to be sure you're blocking the direct sunlight from entering a room.
- Step 3: Choose the color for your curtains Look at the colors that are prominent in the room you are decorating. Select a matching or complementary color for your curtains.
- Step 4: Measure curtain length Use the tape measure to measure how long your curtains need to be. Measure from the curtain rod to your desired distance from the floor.
- TIP: Raise your curtain rod six or more inches above the top of your window to give your room a more dramatic look.
- Step 5: Measure curtain width Measure the width of the window and add 6 to 12 inches. Look for a set of double curtains, each measuring the width of the window plus the additional inches, to give your curtains a fuller look.
- Step 6: Purchase and hang curtains Find curtains that suit all of your needs, and purchase and hang them in your room. Switch out the curtains as often as you like to give your room a fresh new look without having to spend a lot of money.
- FACT: The original green velvet curtain dress worn by Scarlett O'Hara in the movie Gone with the Wind is housed in the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center in Austin, Texas.
You Will Need
- Fabric selection
- Color selection
- Tape measure
- Blackout curtains (optional)