- Step 1: Think ahead Think ahead when you bring a Christmas tree home, and have a plastic tree bag on hand.
- Step 2: Place bag Place the bag beneath the tree stand when you set the tree in place.
- Step 3: Siphon water Siphon the water from the stand with a turkey baster before you remove the tree, transferring the water to a bucket.
- TIP: Avoid spilling stand water, which contains sap and can stain flooring.
- Step 4: Enlist a helper Enlist a helper to hold the trunk of the tree steady as you pull the bag up and around the stand and tree.
- TIP: Use an old sheet or blanket to wrap the tree in place of a tree bag.
- Step 5: Take the tree outdoors Take the tree outdoors, lay it on its side, and expose the stand.
- Step 6: Reverse procedures Reverse the procedure you used to set up the tree, unscrewing, unbolting, or unclasping the stand -- whichever system your stand model employs.
- Step 7: Separate the tree Separate the tree from the stand and it'll be ready for recycling, and you'll be ready to sprout fresh beginnings in the New Year.
- FACT: In the 1830's, Louisiana became the first state to declare Christmas a holiday.
You Will Need
- Christmas tree bag
- Turkey baster
- Old sheet or blanket (optional)