- Step 1: Soak the oats Place a cup of whole oats in the liquid, and let the oats soak in a covered container for four to eight hours.
- TIP: You can substitute steel-cut or rolled oats for the whole oats if you want a faster-cooking cereal, but the presoak time is the same.
- Step 2: Bring the oats and the soaking liquid to a boil. Then simmer them in the pot, uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Stir the oats. The oats are ready when the excess water has evaporated and the oatmeal is not sticking to your spoon.
- Step 4: Serve the oatmeal Serve the oatmeal topped with milk and sugar, a pat of butter, or raisins.
- FACT: Oats are believed to have first reached the North American continent in 1602.
You Will Need
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2-4 c. water
- 1 c. whole oats
- Container with lid
- Steel-cut oats (optional)
- Rolled oats (optional)