- Step 1: Choose a social bookmarking service Choose a social bookmarking service, such as Delicious.com or Digg.com, and register as a new user.
- Step 2: Enter a keyword into the site's search engine Enter a keyword into the social bookmarking site's search engine to generate a sample list of social bookmarks from other users.
- TIP: Take time to explore other users' bookmarks to get an overview of how the site's bookmarking community works.
- Step 3: Learn about tags Use tags -- keyword descriptions that a user assigns to a bookmark.
- Step 4: Add bookmarklet buttons to your browser's toolbar Add bookmarklet buttons to your browser's toolbar. Most bookmarking services offer these as one-click tagging tools to use while web surfing.
- TIP: One service's toolbar buttons include one for tagging, another that opens all your bookmarks, and a third that searches them.
- Step 5: Bookmark a web page Find a web page to recommend. Click the bookmarklet button on your browser toolbar, opening a tag window. Then enter keyword tags and click Save.
- Step 6: Participate in the social bookmarking site Participate in the social bookmarking site, using it as an depository for online information and a way to make online friendships.
- FACT: In 2008, Forbes magazine declared 23-year-old Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, the world's youngest self-made billionaire.
You Will Need
- Social bookmarking account