- Step 1: Find a distraction Explore activities that distract you from thinking about your ex. Ask for new responsibilities at work, take up a hobby, read the classics -- anything that pulls your attention away from staring at the phone.
- TIP: You can choose an activity your ex would hate to make the time even more pleasurable.
- Step 2: Tap the network Call your friends and family whenever you find yourself thinking about your ex. Talk out your own issues, or just listen to them for a little while.
- Step 3: Pick a prize Resisted the urge for a few days? Reward yourself! You'll train your brain to associate not calling your ex with positive reinforcement.
- TIP: Don't reward yourself with alcohol -- this is not the time to lower your inhibitions.
- Step 4: List their faults Make a list of your ex's negative qualities and take it out and read it every time you reach for the phone. Soon, you'll shudder at just the thought of dialing their number.
- Step 5: Take out the trash Still having trouble? Purge your ex from your life. Throw out mementos, cut ties on social networks, and delete all contact info -- it's a lot easier to resist the urge to call if you don't have their number in the first place.
- FACT: In 2010, The Federal Communications Commission reported that 86 percent of American adults owned a cell phone.
You Will Need
- Distracting activities
- Friends and family
- List of faults