- Step 1: Assemble the members Start by finding four friends to join your band to create a fierce, 5-guy force. Make yourself the front man; then, divvy up roles for the others to include a quiet member, a good boy, a bad boy, and a fresh-faced, innocent cutie.
- TIP: A group composed entirely of relatives can have as few as 3 members.
- Step 2: Find a name Give the band a name that's easy to remember and short enough to be chanted by legions of fans for hours on end.
- Step 3: Get a manager Pick someone to manage your band. Trust their advice on how to look, walk, talk, act, laugh, pose, and smell. Pay them at least 10 percent of your earnings to guarantee they'll consider your needs at least 10 percent of the time.
- Step 4: Sing out Write lyrics for 10 songs with simple rhymes and repetitive choruses. Then, seek out professional songwriters to ensure the melodies really gnaw at listeners' brains. Feature select parts for each member's voice and a few unified moments of luscious harmony.
- TIP: If you lack vocal talent, compensate with vocoders and auto-tuning.
- Step 5: Move your feet Develop choreography to perform while lip-syncing your songs. Include a signature step you can repeat in each number to win the hearts of teenage groupies around the globe.
- Step 6: Practice, practice, practice Practice relentlessly before taking your act on the road. Then, after 5 years of music videos and photo shoots, grab your money and enter the world of men. Don't worry -- another boy band will start up to take your place before you know it.
- FACT: 'N Sync's 2000 album, No Strings Attached, went platinum 11 times.
You Will Need
- Band name
- Family members (optional)
- Vocoder and auto-tuner (optional)