- Step 1: Concentrate on bristle quality Concentrate on the quality of the bristles rather than on the color. You don't need to buy a matching set.
- Step 2: Choose a bristle type Choose natural bristles for powder makeup and synthetic ones for oil, cream, and liquid makeup.
- TIP: To ensure that your brushes last long, wash them once a month using shampoo for natural bristle brushes and dish soap for synthetic brushes.
- Step 3: Buy at least four brushes Buy at least four brushes: a large powder brush; a slightly smaller blush and bronzer brush; and two eye-shadow brushes, one the size of a nickel and one the size of a dime.
- TIP: Forego the foundation brush. You will get more overall even coverage with a beauty sponge.
- Step 4: Look for domed shape Look for brushes with a domed shape. The bristles should be dense and have a silky texture, which will glide over your face smoothly.
- Step 5: Add to your set Add two concealer brushes to your set: one for under your eyes and a pen-sized one to cover blemishes.
- Step 6: Rationalize your purchase Rationalize your purchase. The most expensive brushes usually work the best because of the superior materials. They can last for years if taken care of properly. Now go make that perfect look a reality.
- FACT: Hog bristle brushes come from hogs all around the world, but mostly from China.
You Will Need
- Multiple brushes
- Makeup to apply
- Shampoo (optional)
- Dish soap (optional)