- Step 1: Purchase garden boxes Purchase garden boxes or framing materials if you decide to construct your own. The boxes should be no wider than 4 feet, and about 6 to 8 inches in height.
- TIP: You can construct the boxes from untreated lumber, bricks, or practically any other construction material. If you use wood, fasten the boards together with screws.
- Step 2: Purchase soil Purchase soil or soil amendments if you want to build your own. Many square foot gardeners prefer a mix of one-third compost, one-third peat moss, and one-third vermiculite.
- Step 3: Purchase materials for a grid Purchase or assemble, the materials you will need to construct a grid of 1-foot-square segments. Wood or plastic strips can be used. The grid will overlay the garden box.
- Step 4: Purchase plant seeds Purchase plant seeds, taking into account the spacing required and allowing for a different type of plant in each 1-foot-square segment.
- Step 5: Purchase a drip irrigation system Purchase a drip irrigation system if you will not be hand-watering your garden. With these tips, you should be harvesting crops in no time.
- FACT: In Greek mythology, the first labyrinth-shaped garden was built to imprison the half-man, half-bull, Minotaur.
You Will Need
- Garden boxes or framing materials
- Soil or amendments
- Wooden or plastic grid
- Plant seeds
- Irrigation system
- Lumber (optional)
- Bricks (optional)
- Screws (optional)