Skip to main content

How to Get Military Medical Records

Learn how to get specific military medical records information released if you're a veteran, a vet's next-of-kin, or a member of the general public.


  • Step 1: Use the eVetRecs online database Use the eVetRecs online database to request military medical records copies. Only vets, deceased vets' next-of-kin, or authorized reps are allowed access.
  • TIP: Next-of-kin includes sons, daughters, parents, brothers, sisters, and unremarried widows or widowers.
  • Step 2: Request medical records through the VA Request post-1992 medical records from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for next-of-kin. Call 800-827-1000 toll-free.
  • TIP: Most military medical records from before 1992 are kept by the National Personnel Service Center.
  • Step 3: Get authorization from the vet Get the vet's or vet's next-of-kin's signed authorization for general public access. See a sample authorization form at the National Personal Records Center website.
  • Step 4: File a request to reconstruct medical data File a request (NA Form 13055) for access to any info needed to reconstruct medical data destroyed in the 1973 fire.
  • Step 5: Get Standard Form 180 at the NPRC website Get Standard Form 180 at the NPRC website for a general public inquiry. Print, fill out, and mail it to request available records.
  • Step 6: Hire a researcher specializing in military records Hire a researcher specializing in military records for more complicated searches. See the list of researchers for hire at the National Archives website.
  • FACT: Individual Confederate States of America Civil War military records can be found at the U.S. National Archives.

You Will Need

  • eVetRecs database access
  • Signed authorization form
  • NA Form 13055
  • Standard Form 180
  • Computer printer
  • Hired researcher

Popular Categories