- Step 1: Wash and dry your dog Wash your dog with dog shampoo, towel them off, and position them comfortably on a table to let them dry completely.
- Step 2: Comb the dog Gently brush or comb your dog to remove any tangles from their coat.
- Step 3: Clip the head Use a dog clipper with a No. 40 blade and, starting at the head, shave the sides and nose in quick, even strokes.
- TIP: Clip in the direction of hair growth -- not against the grain.
- Step 4: Trim the ears Trim your dog's ears by holding them in your hand and slowly moving the clippers over them.
- TIP: Have doggie treats on hand in case your dog gets fidgety.
- Step 5: Clip the body Start where the dog's head and neck meet and continue down the body in brisk strokes. Move down the dog's backbone and then down the sides of the body and the tail. Then trim the dog's belly.
- Step 6: Do the legs Clip the hair on your dog's legs, starting at the top and moving downward to gently clip around the paws.
- Step 7: Buy a new toy Use the money you save by grooming your dog yourself and get a new toy that you can play with together.
- FACT: Studies indicate that having a pet can reduce medical problems aggravated by stress.
You Will Need
- Dog shampoo
- Dog brush or comb
- Dog clippers with a No. 40 blade
- Doggie treats (optional)