- Step 1: Buy or find rocks Buy rocks that complement your yard's color scheme at a garden store, or gather rocks from the outdoors to lay a garden border.
- TIP: Install landscape rocks with an audio feature to add music to your garden.
- Step 2: Rake Rake debris, including weeds, rocks, and sticks, from the area intended for the rock border.
- Step 3: Dig a trench Dig a 4-inch-deep trench along the garden edge where you plan to lay the rock border, wide enough to accommodate the size of your rocks.
- Step 4: Add sand or mulch Smooth 2 inches of sand or mulch over the trench to help prevent weed growth.
- Step 5: Set the rocks Set the rocks edge-to-edge in the trench for the length of the border and tap the rocks down using the rubber mallet.
- TIP: Add a second rock layer to build a short garden wall.
- Step 6: Clean the rocks Spray the rocks clean with your garden hose. Now, wait for Mother Nature to fill in the gaps as the garden grows, or hurry the process along by planting your favorite dwarf plant varieties in the spaces between the rocks.
- FACT: The three basic types of rocks are igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.
You Will Need
- Sand or mulch
- Rubber mallet
- Garden hose
- Dwarf plant varieties
- Audio landscape rocks (optional)