- Step 1: Rest Spend a few days resting until the inflammation goes away. Rest will stop any irritation to the nerve and give it a chance to recover.
- TIP: Seek out comfortable positions, but try to remain active. Motion helps relieve inflammation.
- Step 2: Take medication Take an anti-inflammatory drug, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or a muscle relaxant.
- Step 3: Apply heat or cold Apply hot or cold compresses to the painful area.
- Step 4: Check with your doctor Check with your doctor after the inflammation has subsided to determine whether you need physical therapy. Stretching exercises may help you to resume normal physical activities without sciatic pain.
- Step 5: Seek professional medical care if the pain persists Tell your doctor if you have persistent low back pain. There could be causes for your discomfort other than a pinched nerve.
- FACT: Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on lower-back pain.
You Will Need
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Hot or cold compresses
- Stretching exercises