- Step 1: Exude energy Exude energy and a genuine identity. Maintain solid personal beliefs and ideas, but keep an open mind.
- Step 2: Allow people in Allow people to learn who you are on the inside. Be approachable, open, receptive, and a confidant who holds their trust by not revealing secrets.
- TIP: Accept that some people will like you and some will not no matter what you do. You can't win them all.
- Step 3: Show empathy Listen with empathy, relating to people through personal experience so they don't feel alone.
- Step 4: Give to get Follow the Golden Rule -- treat others the way you'd like to be treated. Help out whenever and however you can. Be generous with your time.
- Step 5: Note little things Comment on the little things others do that you appreciate, and encourage people to be better. Be their fan and be supportive.
- Step 6: Be active Be active, be seen, and be liked. Participate in community or charity events or join school activities and clubs to get known and accepted. You'll have a full social calendar and have to turn down invitations before you know it.
- FACT: Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People has sold more than 15 million copies since it was first published in 1937.
You Will Need
- Social interaction