- : Consult your doctor before giving a baby any medication.
- Step 1: Reduce the fever Reduce the baby's fever by giving them a bath or sponging them down with lukewarm water.
- Step 2: Stay hydrated Keep the baby hydrated by giving them plenty of water, breast milk, or formula.
- Step 3: Avoid overdressing Avoid overdressing or bundling them up before they go to sleep.
- Step 4: Give them medicine Give your baby ibuprofen or acetaminophen to reduce a fever only if recommended by your doctor.
- TIP: Measure all medication with an oral syringe to make sure the right dosage is given. Consult your baby's pediatrician if you're unsure.
- Step 5: Call a doctor Call your doctor if your baby's temperature rises above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, if they lose their appetite, look pale or flushed, or are unusually irritable. A doctor is always on call to answer your questions.
- FACT: Most people's body temperatures change throughout the day. They are usually cooler in the morning and warmer in the evening.
You Will Need
- Lukewarm bath
- breast milk
- or formula
- Ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Oral syringe (optional)