- Step 1: Create a press release Create an eye-catching press release to distribute to local newspapers, radio, and TV stations that outlines your story, product, event, or business.
- TIP: Design an interesting logo or tagline that gets people buzzing.
- Step 2: Recruit an army Recruit an army of supporters willing to work cheap or volunteer and have them pass out fliers, talk to their friends, hang posters, and generate word-of-mouth advertising.
- Step 3: Target the correct audience Target the correct audience for your product or event to narrow the scope and reduce costs.
- Step 4: Search for free ad space Search for free ad space on bulletin boards in coffee houses, bookstores, and at local grocery stores.
- Step 5: Plan a media event Plan a media event -- like a cocktail party or free concert -- and invite as many press people as possible. Pack the event with friends and supporters to create energy and excitement.
- TIP: Attract more attention with controversy or latch on to a current political story -- just don't break the law or turn off loyal supporters.
- Step 6: Go online Go online and start a blog, website, or post a video to YouTube and take advantage of social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook. Once your news goes viral, it may take on a life of its own.
- FACT: The company Moon Publicity offers moon-based advertising, which would use small robots recreate logos and text on the lunar surface, starting at $46,000.
You Will Need
- Artistic talent
- Hard work