- Step 1: Dampen mustache Slightly dampen your mustache with water. You don't need much, just a bit.
- Step 2: Comb mustache Comb your mustache with a fine-toothed comb in the direction that it grows.
- Step 3: Trim for shape Trim first for shape and definition. Clip across the bottom of your mustache, giving it a smooth even line, and clip along the outer edges to give it distinctive parameters.
- TIP: If you're using a mustache trimmer, start with a setting that will clip the least amount of hair. You can always go back and trim more, but trimming too much will trash your 'stache.
- Step 4: Trim for length Now trim for length and bushiness. Start at the middle of your mustache, and begin lightly trimming out to the edges.
- TIP: Mustache hair is tougher than other facial hair, so trim just a little bit at a time for better results.
- Step 5: Comb mustache Comb through your mustache one last time, clip any hairs you may have missed, and wink at the macho man in the mirror.
- FACT: Groucho Marx's original signature mustache never needed trimming—it was made of black greasepaint.
You Will Need
- A pair of grooming scissors
- A fine-toothed mustache comb
- A mirror
- A sink or basin
- Some water
- An electric mustache trimmer (optional)