- Step 1: Wallow Let yourself wallow for a while. Listen to sad songs and cry if you feel like it. Feeling the pain will help you let it go faster.
- Step 2: Remember why you broke up Remember what caused your breakup and reflect on your relationship. As time passes, you may only think of the good things. Consider your differences and why you're not together now.
- Step 3: Don't be friends Don't try to be friends with your ex while you're getting over them. You may be able to hang out platonically later on, but not until you're completely over each other.
- TIP: Delete your ex's e-mail address, their phone number, and social media connections.
- Step 4: Ask for advice Ask your family and older friends how they got over their first loves. It'll give you much-needed perspective.
- Step 5: Surround yourself with friends and activities Surround yourself with friends and stay socially active. Pursue your favorite hobbies or interests or develop new ones.
- TIP: If you are alone, pick up a book -- reading is a great escape.
- Step 6: Realize there will be someone else Realize someone else will come along and you'll fall in love again eventually. A first love is called a "first" for a reason.
- FACT: British researchers found that people who have a more "pragmatic" view of their first love, rather than expecting the same passion with a new person, are more likely to have successful relationships.
You Will Need
- Time to wallow
- Friends and activities
- Books (optional)