- Step 1: Put some thought into it If you always go the flowers and candy route, make it special this year by tucking in a little surprise.
- Step 2: Make sure it's a good surprise Make sure it's a good surprise: What is hopelessly romantic to one woman may be unbearably cheesy to another. If you don't know how she'll react, ask her best friend.
- Step 3: Don't limit yourself Don't be limited by what society defines as "romantic." Think of something she really wants, and let the packaging, the card, or the delivery provide the romance.
- Step 4: Give an experience Consider giving her an experience instead of something material. Research indicates experiences often make people happier than possessions, and the pleasure they provide lasts longer.
- Step 5: Say the 2 little words Say the 2 little words she really wants to hear: thank you. Make a list of everything she does that you appreciate -- especially the stuff she probably thinks goes unnoticed. Have it printed up as a keepsake.
- TIP: Compliment her on her appearance; one poll found this would make 2 out of 3 women happy on Valentine's Day.
- Step 6: Turn off your phone Turn off your phone or PDA, at least during dinner. For many women, your undivided attention is the best gift they could receive.
- FACT: In Japan, only women are on the hook to give Valentine's Day gifts, and they're expected to give them to all the men in their life. Men return the favor a month later, on a holiday called "White Day."
You Will Need
- Undivided attention
- Compliment (optional)