- Step 1: Get a good night's sleep Get a good night's sleep for optimum performance the next day. While amounts vary from person to person, most people need between six and eight hours a night.
- TIP: Although it provides an initial burst of focus, the mental boost provided by caffeine is short term.
- Step 2: Maintain a healthy diet Eat a well-balanced meal, especially in the morning, to maintain your attention span throughout the day. This includes whole grains, fruits, veggies, and dairy products. A good mix of sugars, carbohydrates, and proteins are needed by the body to synthesize into energy.
- TIP: Studies show ginkgo, ginseng, and certain vitamins help to sharpen mental focus.
- Step 3: Move your body Engage in exercise, be it aerobics or yoga, to strengthen your body. Physical activity helps to clear the mind and increase metabolism, leading to improved concentration.
- Step 4: Limit stress Limit the stress in your life. Meditate or pray, or simply think happy thoughts. Use whatever technique calms you down and returns focus to the task at hand.
- Step 5: Exercise your mind Exercise your mind for optimum brainpower. Reading, finishing that crossword puzzle, engaging in memory games, or using mind-strengthening software will keep your mental skills sharp.
- FACT: The symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder were first described by a British doctor in 1902.
You Will Need
- Well-balanced diet
- Limited stress
- Mind-strengthening games
- Vitamins and nutritional supplements (optional)