- Step 1: Clip coupons Root through newspapers, circulars, coupon mailers, and advertisements put out by tourist information centers and hotels to find savings coupons for area restaurants.
- TIP: Visit a favorite restaurant's website and look for a link to subscribe to its mailing list to receive coupons and special offers.
- Step 2: Split the meal Choose a restaurant that serves up huge portions so you can split a single meal with your dining companion.
- TIP: Don't be shy when asking for freebies, such as more bread or chips with your meal.
- Step 3: Drink water Avoid overpaying for beverages by skipping the alcohol and soda and enjoying a refreshing, free glass of water instead.
- Step 4: Sniff out free meals Get familiar with restaurants that offer "kids eat free" specials if you have a family of mouths to feed.
- Step 5: Show your ID Inquire about seniors' discounts if you qualify, and dine when the discount applies, such as on Tuesdays or before 6:00 P.M.
- Step 6: Eat early Opt for a lunch out rather than a dinner out to save dough. Many restaurants slash their lunch entree prices while still offering satisfying fare.
- Step 7: Join the club Sign up for a credit card that earns rewards points for purchases and redeem them for restaurant gift certificates. That way, eating pays for itself!
- FACT: New York City offers more than 20,000 restaurant choices.
You Will Need
- Large portions
- Credit card