- Step 1: Determine what you want Determine what you want. Different online dating sites cater to different kinds of daters, from people looking to start casual friendships to people looking for life partners. Knowing what you want before you start will help you narrow down your options.
- TIP: Consider sites with specific religious, activity, age concentrations if you know these requirements are important to you.
- Step 3: Try a free site Start with a free site first; they host the most profiles. Look at the criteria the site uses to make suitable matches for you. If you like the matches the site suggests, it may be the one for you.
- TIP: Most sites will offer free trial periods so you can test the arrangement of viewing profiles and some suitable matches before paying.
- Step 4: Investigate sites Investigate the sites you're considering by talking to friends who have tried online dating and looking for testimonials online in addition to exploring the sites themselves.
- Step 5: Understand membership and billing contracts Understand the site's membership and billing contracts before agreeing to the terms and conditions. They may require a minimum length of membership.
- TIP: Some sites will automatically renew your membership and charge your account every month if not canceled on time.
- Step 6: Jump right in Jump right in. Fill out your profile and upload a photo, and start meeting people!
- FACT: A study commissioned by Match.com found that between 2007 and 2010, 17 percent of all couples who married met online.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Site designed around specific interests (optional)