- Step 1: Soak the lentils and rice Place the lentils and rice in separate bowls. Cover both with 2 inches water and let soak for 6 hours.
- Step 2: Puree the lentils Drain the lentils in a sieve and puree them in a food processor with 3/4 cup water until they are light and fluffy. Transfer them to a large bowl.
- Step 3: Puree the rice Drain the rice in the sieve and puree it in the food processor with 1/3 cup water until it forms a gritty paste.
- Step 4: Mix the rice and lentils Mix the rice and lentil pastes together, adding salt and water to form a thin batter.
- TIP: Let the batter stand at room temperature overnight.
- Step 5: Heat cooking oil Heat cooking oil in a skillet. Spread some of the batter in the skillet, moving it outwards in concentric circles until it forms a circular thin circle.
- Step 6: Cook the dosa Cook the dosa at high heat for several minutes. Then flip it over and cook the other side for a few seconds. This recipe serves four. Dig in!
- FACT: When filled with potatoes, dosas are known as masala dosa, where masala means spicy.
You Will Need
- 1 1/2 c. rice
- 1/2 c. black lentils
- 3/4 c. water
- Vegetable oil
- Food processor