- Step 1: Take pictures Take pictures of each item that you want to sell. Try to place the item in good lighting with nothing else in the background.
- TIP: Use a lamp or sunlight to photograph your crafts. Using the flash will cause the item to be too light and won't show off all its awesomeness.
- Step 2: Write a description Write a description of your item. Make it enticing by writing something that is easy to read, but also is as detailed as possible, including measurements of the item.
- Step 3: Sign up for a PayPal account Sign up for a PayPal business account to use. It is a secure way to ensure you receive payment before shipping your handicrafts.
- TIP: PayPal charges sales fees based on your monthly sales, so factor that in when pricing your items.
- Step 4: Sign up for a seller account Sign up for a seller's account on any of the online sales sites, such as Etsy and eBay, or build your own seller's website.
- Step 5: Price your items Price your items based on materials costs, labor costs, listing fees, facility fees, and competitors' prices. Facility fees include your costs for a home office or crafting room.
- Step 6: List your items List your items along with pictures, descriptions, and shipping charges.
- TIP: You may want to calculate shipping charges using a postal scale before listing your item, so that when it comes time to ship you aren't dipping into your profits.
- Step 7: Answer buyers' questions Answer any questions that potential buyers send you within 24 hours, if possible.
- Step 8: Complete the sale Complete your sale, collect your payment from PayPal, and pack your items for shipping.
- Step 9: Ship your items Ship the item within 24 hours of payment. Include delivery confirmation and insurance, if possible. Then, start making plans to replenish your depleted stock.
- FACT: Visconti, an Italian writing instrument company, makes handcrafted pens that have been chosen for such historical occasions as the signing of the NATO-Russia Summit in 2002.
You Will Need
- Digital camera
- Handcrafted goods
- Shipping materials
- Lamp or sunny area (optional)
- Postal scale (optional)