- Step 1: Tell the individual you remember their name Tell them you remember their name, but are stumped at the moment -- just drawing a blank.
- TIP: You might also say something like, "I keep wanting to call you Tom, but that doesn't seem right."
- Step 2: Exchange business cards Tell them you'd like to exchange business cards, and then get their name from the card.
- Step 3: Praise the individual Praise them for being able to remember your name, while explaining that you lack such a gift.
- Step 4: Ask for their last name Ask for the person's last name on the pretense that you forgot it. They will probably give you their first and last names.
- Step 5: Introduce them to someone else Introduce them to someone whose name you do remember. They will probably say their name as part of the introduction.
- TIP: If you're with someone else, say, "This is my friend, Mary...." and then trail off. They will have no choice but to introduce themselves.
- Step 6: Ask the person's name Ask the person their name if all else fails. Just be up front and say, "I'm sorry, I don't recall your name." Pay attention this time, so you don't forget again!
- FACT: The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
You Will Need
- Business cards
- Last name