- Step 1: Avoid peak season Avoid the peak season of your destination, when the rates are highest.
- Step 2: Fly midweek Fly midweek for the best rates. Mondays through Thursdays and Saturdays are cheaper for domestic flights and Mondays through Thursdays are the best days for international travel.
- Step 3: Compare prices Compare prices on the airline's website as well as with booking aggregators. They take results from several booking sites for flights, and usually hotels and car rentals as well. Be aware that not all airlines are represented on these sites.
- Step 4: Look into all purpose travel sites Look into all-purpose travel sites, where you can book your hotel, flight and car all at once. This often adds additional savings.
- Step 5: Sign up for instant alerts Sign up for instant alerts. Certain travel sites allow you to automatically receive e-mails when a fare dips below the price you've set or notify you of special fares.
- Step 6: Price transportation Price transportation from the airport to your hotel if airport transfers aren't included in your vacation package. Get walking and driving directions in advance and look for events or tours.
- TIP: Store all your travel information in one place, whether it's in a file folder or online.
- Step 7: Book quickly Book your tickets or hotel as soon as you find a deal you're satisfied with. Good deals go quickly.
- FACT: According to Forbes magazine, the most visited tourist destination in America in 2010 was Times Square, New York, followed by the Las Vegas Strip.
You Will Need
- Flexible schedule
- Internet access