- Step 1: Notice what others are wearing Notice what female managers and bosses are wearing, especially the ones you admire. Look at what the people in the positions you want to eventually hold wear on a daily basis. Tailor your style to theirs.
- Step 2: Wear clothes that fit Wear clothes that fit. Don't wear clothes that are too short, too tight, or too loose. Always cover your cleavage.
- Step 3: Never wear beach or club wear Never wear beach or club wear to work.
- TIP: Leave the flip-flops, T-shirts, tennis shoes, jeans, shorts, tank tops, and sweatshirts at home.
- Step 4: Think conservative Think conservative. Tailored blouses, pants, skirts, and sweaters are best.
- Step 5: Express your personality Feel free to express your personality with your clothes and accessories, but avoid style extremes.
- Step 6: Give yourself a once over Give yourself a once-over before leaving the house. If you feel that you are dressed appropriately for a meeting with a client or the CEO, your clothes are probably perfect.
- FACT: As of 2001, about 44 percent of American companies had adopted an everyday business casual dress code. This was up from 36 percent in 1998.
You Will Need
- Business casual dress code
- Conservative clothes