- Step 1: Join a gym Join a gym to gain access to the best equipment and don't be afraid to ask questions or talk to trainers or serious bodybuilders -- their experience and information can save you time and pain later on.
- Step 2: Master basic lifts Learn the proper form for basic bodybuilding moves such as the bench press, chin up, and dead lift, and don't worry too much about targeting smaller muscle groups.
- Step 3: Set small goals Set small goals for yourself, such as increasing your bench press by 10 pounds over the summer. Keep progressing and achieving and you'll feel encouraged to continue.
- TIP: Focus on form rather than weight for the first few months to avoid injury.
- Step 4: Change routine often Change your routine every 4 to 8 weeks to keep your body confused and growing and to prevent boredom.
- Step 5: Pick up a cookbook Pick up a cookbook that is specifically designed for bodybuilders, or talk to a dietitian or specialist at your gym to create a meal plan right for you.
- TIP: Don't worry about incorporating supplements right away. Wait until you are further along in your quest.
- Step 6: Be patient but dedicated Be patient but dedicated. Small changes will take months, bigger changes will take years, but stay on track and you'll reach your bodybuilding goals.
- FACT: In 1980, bodybuilding champion Lisa Lyon became the first female bodybuilder to appear in Playboy magazine.
You Will Need
- Gym membership
- Basic bodybuilding moves
- Cookbook or dietitian