- Step 1: Get some girdles Get some foundation garments to lift your breasts and flatten your tummy. To truly dress like the ladies of Mad Men, look for industrial-strength girdles and pointy bras.
- Step 2: Be like Betty To dress like elegant Betty, slip into dresses that nip in at the waist and flare out at the hips, or wear Capri pants with twin sets. Stick with pale colors, and accessorize with silk scarves, gloves, and necklaces.
- TIP: Betty even looks good in the kitchen. Wear pretty aprons to mimic the look.
- Step 3: Dress like Joan Pour your figure into tight pencil skirts, wrap blouses, and snug sweaters if you want to steal Joan's sexy style. Focus on jewel tones.
- Step 4: Emulate Peggy If you're more like modest Peggy, fill your closet with textured fabrics. Try nipped waistlines, A-line skirts, and conservative necklines, and ttick with muted colors.
- TIP: Scour vintage clothing shops for Mad Men looks. Just remember that vintage sizes run smaller than today's sizing.
- Step 5: Copy Trudy's style Think "Jackie Kennedy" if you want to dress like stylish Trudy. Trudy favors prints over solid colors, suits with boxy jackets, and fabulous hats. She tends to be matchy-matchy in her ensembles.
- Step 6: Look for inspiration For more ideas on how to dress like the ladies of Mad Men, look for vintage editions of women's magazines at flea markets, and check out family albums from that period. Those are a few places Mad Men's award-winning costume designer finds inspiration.
- FACT: Mad Men's wardrobe designer puts Betty Draper in aprons that belonged to her own grandmother.
You Will Need
- Foundation garments
- '60's women's magazines
- Vintage clothing shops (optional)