- Step 1: Enter the number into a search engine Enter the phone number into a search engine. The caller may have entered personal info online.
- Step 2: Consider using Smartphone apps Try using reverse directory smartphone apps that allow you to enter a number into a database and get caller names and addresses.
- TIP: Directory search results should include the phone number owner's name, address, wireless carrier, and even the names of previous owners.
- Step 3: Find reverse directory services online Find online reverse directory services like WhitePages.com. Most of these services charge a fee, but reputable services offer a free search to determine if the cell number is available in their database.
- Step 4: Consider directory services offering extra info Consider using directory services that offer info beyond an unknown caller's name and address, such as a criminal background checks, for safety reasons. Once you have an idea who's calling, you'll know what steps to take next.
- FACT: In 1940, Motorola developed the Handie-Talkie, a portable 2-way radio forerunner of the cellphone, used during World War II.
You Will Need
- Internet access
- Smartphone reverse directory app
- Reverse directory service fees