- Step 1: Wash the wound Wash the wound with soap, warm water, and a towel. This will remove dirt, saliva, and bacteria.
- TIP: Apply pressure to the wound to stop any bleeding. If the bleeding persists, seek medical care.
- Step 2: Apply an antiseptic solution Apply an antiseptic solution such as iodine to the wound after you finish washing. Then apply an antibiotic ointment and cover the wound with a sterile bandage.
- TIP: Reapply the antibiotic ointment twice a day until the wound heels.
- Step 3: Keep the injured area elevated Keep the injured area elevated to slow swelling and prevent infection.
- Step 4: Consult a doctor Seek professional medical care if bleeding continues, if a bone appears broken, if you have a compromised immune system, or if you have been bitten by a stray or feral animal. Follow your doctor's course of treatment, and above all, be well.
- FACT: The jaws of a large dog can exert a pressure of as much as 450 pounds per square inch.
You Will Need
- Soap and water
- Antiseptic solution
- Antibiotic ointment