- Step 1: Hug them Hug your friend, rub their back, and touch their arm. Comfort them with small physical gestures that let them know you care and calm them.
- Step 2: Get them to vent Help them let out all their feelings about the breakup by continuously asking them "what else?" Venting their feelings out loud will make the comforting process easier.
- TIP: Let them talk, but don't nag them if they don't feel like expressing their feelings at that moment.
- Step 3: Compliment Compliment your friend. After the breakup, their self-esteem may be lower. Let them know they are funny, smart, and beautiful.
- Step 4: Give them hope Give your friend hope that things will eventually get better. Their heart will heal and life will go on.
- Step 5: Keep them busy Keep your friend busy. Take them to the movies, go shopping, or go out to dinner. Do all the fun activities you normally would in order to take their mind off of the breakup.
- Step 6: Give it time Give your friend time to get over the breakup. You want them to be happy again, but you have to understand that even with you comforting them, it's going to take time for them to move on.
- FACT: According to a Gallup poll conducted in 2004, Americans said they have an average of 9 close friends.
You Will Need
- Physical gestures
- Listening skills