- Step 1: Eliminate pet smells Clean the house thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner, concentrating on areas where your pet likes to go. Use odor-eliminating air sprays to remove pet smells.
- TIP: Have a friend do a "sniff test" after you clean to see if any smells remain. Sometimes you can't smell the pet odors if you live with them all the time.
- Step 2: Remove carpet or floor stains Remove all of the carpet or floor stains using a deep carpet cleaner. Hire a professional if you can't remove the stain yourself, and think about replacing the carpet and the padding, if necessary.
- Step 3: Vacuum daily Vacuum every day to remove pet hair from floors. Clean hair from furniture, using the vacuum attachments and a lint roller to pick up stubborn hairs.
- TIP: Buy a vacuum that is specially made for collecting fur. They often have extra power and suction needed to clean floors of pet hair, and many have filters that can reduce allergens and pet dander.
- Step 4: Hide all pet supplies, like litter boxes Move all of the pet supplies, such as litter boxes or dog pads, out of sight. Hide large containers of food, bowls, and toys.
- Step 5: Put pet into a carrier during the day Put your pet in a carrier while potential buyers are in the house.
- Step 6: Leave with your pet for night or weekend showings Take your pet with you when you leave the house for showings at night or during the weekend. Go on a long walk, take your pet to the groomer, or put them in the car and go for a drive.
- Step 7: Keep your pet and your house clean Keep your pet and your house clean during the whole selling process. Bathe and brush your pet frequently to eliminate odors and reduce shedding. Keep the house spotlessly clean, and soon you and your pet will be able to move on.
- FACT: Nearly half of all dogs sleep with their owners, according to a survey by the American Pet Products Association. Sixty-two percent of small dogs, 41 percent of medium-sized dogs, and 32 percent of large dogs share their owners' beds.
You Will Need
- Enzyme cleaner
- Odor-eliminating air sprays
- Deep carpet cleaner
- Vacuum attachments
- Lint roller
- Pet carrier
- Pet brush