- Step 1: Perfect your resume and cover letter Perfect your resume and cover letter as the first step to scoring a needed job interview. Create a portfolio of sample work you've done if needed.
- Step 2: Visit a job fair Visit a job fair and pass out your resume to companies that are a good fit for your skills. Talk to each vendor. Speak clearly and introduce yourself with a firm, confident tone.
- TIP: Dress the part with a suit and tie for men, and professional attire for women.
- Step 3: Research company Research the company and learn as much as you can about their product or service. Know where your skills are needed and pitch yourself to the recruiter in person.
- Step 4: Follow up Follow up with a phone call after you have submitted your resume and cover letter. Give the recruiter at least a week before calling to inquire about your status.
- TIP: Practice what to say before picking up the phone.
- Step 5: Send an email Send an email if you're not up for a phone call or are unable to reach the recruiter. Attach a digital copy of your resume to remind them who you are.
- Step 6: Send a thank you note Send a note thanking the recruiter for the opportunity and stating your excitement about working for the company. A good thank-you note could seal the deal to get you an interview.
- FACT: For the first time since the Great Depression, the period from 1999 to 2009 resulted in a lost employment decade in which more jobs were lost than created.
You Will Need
- Cover letter
- Recruiter's information
- Thank-you note
- Professional attire (optional)