- Step 1: Purchase locally Look for used camping and hiking equipment at garage sales, or check the local newspaper classifieds for used outdoor equipment. Buying locally lets you inspect the equipment before you buy it and saves you delivery charges.
- Step 2: Check eBay Search for equipment eBay at ebay.com if you can't find the equipment you want locally. Many times you can find good used hiking and backpacking gear that has only been used once or twice.
- TIP: Sellers on eBay are rated. Check the ratings to ensure you only buy from sellers that have proven themselves reliable in the past.
- Step 3: Check a specialty website As an alternative, look for equipment on a website that specializes in used outdoor gear like geartrade.com or mec.ca. Sites like these make it easy to compare prices.
- Step 4: Consider buying discounted new equipment Consider purchasing discounted new equipment if you still can't find what you are looking for. Amazon.com is a good source of discounted new outdoor gear. One way or another you should be able to save some money on your equipment.
- FACT: When the ice-preserved mummy of a man who lived around 3300 BCE was discovered in 1991, the man was found to be wearing waterproof leather shoes lined with grass.
You Will Need
- Local sources