- Step 1: Ride a Harley Ride a Harley. A Harley-Davidson is the only kind of hog to ride to a rally -- the more customized, the better.
- Step 2: Wear the right clothes Wear a T-shirt under a leather jacket, and wear battered old bluejeans. Leather riding boots are a must. Ladies, less is more -- super-short cut-offs and a bikini top will be fine.
- TIP: You can also tie a bandanna over your head.
- Step 3: Show your tattoos Get plenty of tattoos and show off your ink. Remember to go heavy on the biker imagery -- and a few skulls wouldn't hurt, either.
- Step 4: Read Easyriders Read an Easyriders magazine. Easyriders has been the quintessential biker magazine for decades.
- Step 5: Drink lots of beer Drink beer -- and whiskey. This is no time for wine or fancy cocktails. The Sturgis Rally features beer bars that seat hundreds of bikers.
- Step 6: Don't be afraid to be loud Don't be afraid to get loud. But don't get mean -- you'll likely offend someone, and bikers are not known for shying away from a fight.
- Step 7: Be friendly Be friendly, be polite. Everyone there wants to have a good time, and you may be surprised at how courteous the other rally attendees are. Cut loose and have some fun.
- FACT: The first Sturgis Rally, known as the Black Hills Classic, was held on August 14, 1938.
You Will Need
- Appropriate clothing
- "Easyriders" magazines
- Bandanna (optional)