- Step 1: Open an Amazon account Open an Amazon account if you don't already have one. Sign up for an individual seller account if you decide to sell through Amazon.com Marketplace.
- Step 2: Search for your book Search for your book by title or ISBN number at the Marketplace's "Sell Your Stuff" page. Click on "Sell Yours Here."
- TIP: You can sell no more than 40 books through an Amazon.com Marketplace individual seller account.
- Step 3: Select your book's condition Select your book's condition and set the price when selling via the Marketplace. Set the shipping method at least for standard shipping.
- TIP: For new textbook sellers, Amazon offers free tutorial "webinars" that include pricing books and managing multiple orders.
- Step 4: Consider the Textbook Buyback program Consider selling back your book to a third party vendor via the Textbook Buyback program. To participate, your book has to be in "good" condition.
- TIP: Compared to a Marketplace sale, you'll only get a small percentage of your book's original price through the Buyback program.
- Step 5: Search for your trade-in value Search for your book's trade-in value by title or ISBN at the Textbook Buyback page. Your book must match the exact version determined by the ISBN.
- Step 6: Assess your book's condition Assess your book's condition. A "good" condition involves no damage to the cover, pages, binding, or associated media like CDs or DVDs.
- Step 7: Print an Amazon shipping label Print an Amazon shipping label and packing slip. Ship your book to Amazon for free. Trade-in payment comes in the form of an Amazon gift card.
- Step 8: Ship your book to the buyer Ship your book directly to the buyer if your book sells through Amazon's Marketplace program. All sellers are required to offer at least standard shipping. Once you've made some sales, you'll be glad to have some extra space on your bookshelves -- and a little cash in your pocket.
- FACT: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos originally named the company "Cadabra" like "Abracadabra," but reconsidered because it sounded too much like "Cadaver."
You Will Need
- Amazon account
- Marketplace individual seller account
- Used textbooks
- Computer printer
- Shipping label and packing slip