- Step 1: Examine your home Examine your home to determine where bed bugs are hiding. Bed bugs live in warm places, like mattresses, sofa seams, and narrow crevices and cracks.
- TIP: Areas that are infested with bed bugs are marked by dark spotting.
- Step 2: Clean your home Thoroughly clean your home. Get rid of clutter to give the bugs fewer places to hide. Vacuum and wash clothing and blankets in extremely hot water.
- TIP: Have delicates dry-cleaned.
- Step 3: Cover your mattress Cover your mattress with a plastic cover. While bed bugs invade many areas, they mostly congregate in mattresses. Covering your mattress will prevent bed bugs from leaving or entering the area.
- Step 4: Steam clean furniture Steam-clean your furniture. Extreme heat is a great way to rid your home of bed bugs.
- Step 5: Call an exterminator Call an exterminator. Successful termination of bed bugs requires detailed knowledge of their biology and hiding places. Exterminators know effective strategies to safely control bed bugs.
- FACT: In the 1990s, archaeologists found fossilized bed bugs while excavating a 3,500 year old site in Egypt.
You Will Need
- Plastic mattress cover
- Steam cleaner